If you want to know exactly how to make a Home Management Binder then this post will teach you in an easy step by step way. Learn exactly how to create your own binder, add the categories and tabs, and start to use what will become your homes manual!
This is the 3rd part of my mini series of posts about Home Management Binders – and is possibly the most important. If you’ve missed the first two and want to go back to them first, then please click the links below: –
HOW DO I MAKE A HOME MANAGEMENT BINDER?
There’s no big fancy system really – just a little work from you to pull everything together.
Having it in a folder form rather than a book or a filing system makes it more portable, and it’s easier to take things out and add to the sections etc.. as you need to.
It also gives you the ability to put each page into plastic files which can hold items that haven’t got holes in – such as vouchers, tickets etc…) – so let’s go through the steps you need to create your very own file:-
STEP 1 – GATHER WHAT YOU NEED
To create your own home management binder you would only need the following items:-
- Some sort of folder(s) of your choice (size, colour etc…. to work for you – 4 holed works best for A4) – CLICK FOR MY CHOICE
- Dividers / Tabs that will enable you to find things easily and manage the file better – CLICK FOR MY CHOICE
- Plastic covers. I put all planner pages in plastic covers for a few reasons which I will go through later in this post… It’s also useful to have a few at the end of the Home File to put any receipts / vouchers you have.
- Hole punch for your required sized folder (4 holes ideally)
- Pens of different colours – you could have a colour for different areas, or each person in your home etc…
- Label Maker – to label the tabs neatly (you can of course just use a pen if you prefer) – CLICK HERE FOR MY CHOICE**
- Printables / Checklists etc… to add to your Home File to enable all notes to be taken easily. Either create these yourself using the category help in the previous post, or you can get my printables by taking a look at my HOME FILE planner available now.
STEP 2 – USE THE CONTENTS OF THE HOME FILE TO LABEL SECTIONS
I like to use a label maker for this as it makes the finish so much more clean and tidy, and I use the main headings from each planner within the Home File series (there are 6 in total – CHORES / MAINTENANCE / FOOD / BUDGET / HOLIDAYS / FAMILY).
Adding the tabs to the file will ensure it’s ready for adding in the Home File sheets (a later step).
STEP 3 – ADD THE COVER PAGE TO THE FRONT OF THE FILE
Create your own cover page or use the one provided in my Home File – but having a cover page on the front of the file completes the look of the Home File really nicely.
I always recommend using a file that has a plastic slip cover for adding a cover page as this will last longer and look more professional – the staples ones I use are great for this (see above for link).
STEP 5 – ADD PLASTIC FILES TO THE FILE TO PUT YOUR PLANNER SHEETS IN
Because I like to use some sheets in the planners on clipboards and on the wall, I don’t want then to have holes in as that doesn’t look as nice – so I put all the planner sheets in plastic folders within the file.
This means I can simply pull out what I want and use it.
It also keeps the pages clean and wipeable, and allows me to print off extra sheets (for example, meal plans) and keep them all in the same folder.
STEP 6 – ADD ALL THE PLANNER PAGES TO THE CORRECT PLACE IN THE FILE
Add in the pages that you want to have in your file into the correct place (using the contents pages as a guide).
STEP 7 – FILL ALL THE PAGES IN WITH YOUR INFORMATION
This takes a little time, but is such a lovely thing to do as it can easily get rid of all those little bits of paper you have had around the house.
You can now add the information to the Home File and then recycle the paper – perfect!
Think about all those business cards, bits torn from magazines, post it notes etc… – you can really declutter and streamline everything!
You can now relax, safe in the knowledge that you have all the information you need at your fingertips – and you really won’t know how you did without one for so long!
I LOVE my Home File and wouldn’t be without it. Everyone knows where they are, and it can be updated as regularly as required. It is specific to our needs as a family, and can be updated and altered as we change.
Let me know below how you get on creating your own! What do you add to yours? Add your comments below to give everyone some more ideas!
… and don’t forget – if you want to grab your copy of the Home File I use, then you can, and save yourself LOADS of time – right HERE .