If you’re stuck on what to write in a birthday card you want to send someone special in your life, don’t worry – we’ve got you covered. Here are over 200 birthday wishes and messages for every person in your life, from your parents to your coworkers, kids, and friends.
When it comes to birthdays, we all have different ways of celebrating. For some, it’s all about the cake and presents, while others prefer a more low-key affair. But one thing that everyone can agree on is that a birthday card is always appreciated!
What To Write In A Birthday Card For Your Best Friend – 12 Wishes To Use
It can be tough to figure out what to write in a birthday card for your best friend. After all, they’ve seen you at your best and your worst and still stuck by your side. That deserves some very special words, right?!
- Another year older, and you’re still the best friend anyone could ask for! I hope your birthday is as wonderful as you are
- Happy birthday, bestie! I don’t know what I would do without you – Thanks for being such a great friend.
- The best of friends always know just what to say to make you feel better – and you’re that friend for me. Thanks, and happy birthday!
- I hope your birthday is as amazing as you are! Thanks for being such a great friend, and have an incredible day!
- There’s nobody quite like you – you’re one of a kind, and I hope you have a birthday that’s as special as you are!
- You always know just how to make me laugh – I hope your birthday is as fun as you are!
- Happy birthday! I hope you have a day that’s as wonderful as you are!
- Thanks for being such a great friend, and have an incredible birthday!
- Here’s to another year of friendship (aka getting up to no good together!) Happy birthday!
- Happy wine and cake day!
- Happy birthday to my lovely friend! You really are the best!
- I’m so grateful to be able to call you my best friend. Thanks for everything!
12 Ideas For What To Write In A Birthday Card For Your Spouse Or Partner
Birthdays are a special time to celebrate the person you love most. Whether you’ve been married for years or are just starting out, your partner’s birthday is the perfect opportunity to express your affection.
The most important thing is to write from the heart. With a few carefully chosen words, you can make this birthday one to remember.
- Happy birthday to my amazing (husband/wife/partner)! You make every day an adventure, and I can’t wait to see what the next year brings
- Thank you for being by my side through everything – I’m so lucky to have you as my (husband/wife/partner)! Here’s to a wonderful year ahead!
- Happy birthday, (honey/sweetheart)! I can’t wait to celebrate your special day with you!
- There’s nobody I’d rather spend my life with than you – happy birthday, (honey/sweetheart)!
- You’re my person. Thank you!
- Having you in my life just makes everything better. Thank you for always being there.
- Thank you for being my everything – I love you so much! Have a wonderful birthday!
- I feel so lucky to be with you on this special day – happy birthday, (darling/love – whatever you tend to call them)
- Happy birthday to the most amazing (husband/wife/partner) in the world! I love you so much!
- Happy birthday sweetheart, I hope you enjoy every moment and have a day that’s as wonderful as you are!
- I hope today is as special as you are.
- My birthday wish to you is that you have the best day possible. I love you.
Birthday Card Messages For Your Child – 10 Great Ideas
It can be challenging to know what to write in a birthday card for your child. After all, you want the message to be both meaningful and appropriate for their age. If you’re struggling to find the right words, don’t worry – here are a few to choose from:
- Happy birthday, my amazing (son/daughter)! You bring joy to everyone around you, and I feel so lucky to be your (mum/dad). I hope you have a birthday that’s as wonderful as you are
- Happy birthday to the best little boy/girl ever. We are so very proud of you – hope you have a day filled with lots of fun.
- Happy <age> birthday – can’t believe you’re already <age>! – You’re such a big girl/boy and we’re so proud of you.
- Happy birthday to our favourite <age> year old!
- Happy birthday to my (son/daughter), the light of my life! I hope you have a birthday that’s as special as you are!
- It seems like only yesterday you were born – we love you more every year. Happy birthday, (son/daughter)! I hope you have a great day!
- Welcome to the teenage years, <name>! We’re strapped in and ready for a fun ride!
- Happy birthday, (daughter/son)! You’re such a special person, and I feel so lucky to be your parent! Have an incredible day!
- I can’t wait to see what the year ahead brings for you! Make every day count…
- We hope you have the best birthday ever sweetheart…
10 Ideas For What To Write In A Birthday Card For Your Mum Or Dad
Trying to figure out what to write in a birthday card for your mum or dad can be tough. After all, they’ve been there for you through everything – the good, the bad, and the ugly. But don’t worry, we’re here to help!
Here are some options for what to include in your birthday message to make it extra special:
- Happy birthday, Mum/Dad! I’m so grateful to have you as my parent/role model/friend. I hope you have a wonderful day
- The highest compliment I can give you, Mum/Dad, is that you’ve made me the person I am today. Thank you for everything-I love you from the bottom of my heart.
- You’re the best mum/dad anyone could ask for! Thanks for always being there for me, and happy birthday!
- Mum/Dad, thanks for being my rock and always being there for me – I love you so much. Have a great birthday!
- Mum/Dad, you’re the most amazing person I know! Thanks for everything, and happy birthday!
- There’s nobody quite like you, Mum/Dad! Thanks for everything – I hope you have a birthday that’s as special as you are!
- Happy birthday from your favourite child …. (We all know that, right…?)
- I’m so grateful to you for always showing me the way. Happy birthday, Mum/Dad!
- Not only am I really lucky that you’re my Mum/Dad, but I’m even luckier that you’re also my friend. Happy birthday!
- Happy birthday to a [Mum/Dad] who’s smart, funny, and good-looking, from the person who inherited all of your best qualities.
What To Write In A Birthday Card For Your Grandma Or Grandpa – 5 Wishes
Your grandparents have been through so much and accomplished so much, and the right message in their card from you is bound to make them feel loved. Find the words to express your love and appreciation here, and make them smile on their special day.
- Happy birthday, Grandma/Grandpa! I’m so grateful to have you in my life. I hope you have a wonderful day.
- The world is a better place because you’re in it, Nanny/Granddad. Thanks for everything, and have an incredible birthday!
- You’re always so full of energy and life – no wonder you’re still so young at heart! Happy birthday, Grandma/Grandpa!
- There’s nobody quite like you, Nana/Gramps! Thanks for everything – I hope you have a birthday that’s as special as you are!
- Enjoy your very special day <name> – you deserve it. I love you x
5 Things To Write In Birthday Cards For Your Grandson / Granddaughter
When it comes to writing a birthday card for your grandchild, try to keep your message short and sweet. After all, grandkids are notoriously impatient! These ideas will help you write a card that will make your grandchild feel loved and special on their big day.
- Happy birthday to a very special grandson/granddaughter. Love you to the moon and back!
- Enjoy your special day sweetheart. Hope you have the best birthday ever!
- Hope you have a birthday full of joy, laughter, and hugs.
- Watching you grow up is such a pleasure. Enjoy your special day, <name>
- We are so proud to be able to call you our <granddaughter/grandson>. Have the very best birthday <name>.
5 Ideas For What To Write In A Birthday Card For An Auntie / Uncle
Struggling to find the right words for their card? Here are a few to try…
- Happy birthday to my favourite Auntie/Uncle! You’re always so much fun, and I feel so lucky to have you in my life. I hope you have a wonderful day!
- Thanks for being such a great role model, Auntie/Uncle. I’m so grateful to have you in my life. I hope you have a birthday that’s as special as you are!
- Thanks for being the best aunt/uncle in the world…
- Thank you for always being there when I need you. You’re the best!
- Yay it’s your birthday! Enjoy all the <a thing they love to do>, <another thing>, and <another thing>. You deserve it!
What To Write In A Birthday Card For Your Niece Or Nephew – 5 Wishes
Be the best Aunt or Uncle with these great options to write in their card on their special day:
- Happy birthday, (niece’s/nephew’s name)! I hope you have a fantastic day. I can’t wait to see you soon
- You’re such a special person, (niece’s/nephew’s name), and I feel so lucky to be your Auntie/Uncle. I hope you have a birthday that’s as wonderful as you are!
- Thanks for being such a great niece/nephew! I hope you have a birthday that’s as awesome as you are!
- I hope you have a birthday that’s as fantastic as you are, (niece’s/nephew’s name)! Have an incredible day!
- To the birthday Boy / Girl on his/her special day. Hope you have a brilliant time full of fun and cake!
7 Ideas For What To Write In A Birthday Card For A Friend
It can be tough to know what to write in a birthday card for a friend. After all, you want to say something that is both heartfelt and personal, without coming across as overly sentimental. The key is to strike the right balance. Here are a few choices to pick from:
- Happy birthday, (friend’s name)! I’m so glad we’re friends. I hope you have a birthday that’s as wonderful as you are
- Thanks for being such a great friend, (friend’s name). I hope you have a birthday that’s as special as you are!
- I hope you have a lovely birthday – you deserve it!
- Thinking of you on your birthday and wishing you all the happiness in the world.
- I hope this year brings you all the happiness in the world
- May all your birthday wishes come true this year.
- May your birthday be as special as you are – happy birthday my lovely.
5 Funny Birthday Wishes To Write In A Card For Your Sibling
Because brothers and sisters are always poking fun at each other, writing something funny in their birthday card(s) seems like the best idea, right?!
- You’re good looking, awesome, and funny… makes sense really as those things must run in the family…
- Happy birthday to mum and dad’s second favourite child.
- I hope I look as good as you when I’m your age! Happy birthday big brother/sister!
- I wanted to get you something really inspiring for your birthday. Then I remembered that you already have me. You’re welcome.
- Wait! You’re how old!? OMG You just reminded me how old I am… Happy birthday little sister/brother!
13 Ideas For The Perfect Birthday Card Message For Someone You Don’t Know Well
Perfect for when you need a few extra words than just “Happy birthday” but aren’t sure what would be appropriate.
- Happy birthday! I hope you have a fantastic day and a great year ahead
- All the best for your birthday and the year ahead. Hope it’s the best one ever.
- Wishing you all the happiness your birthday can bring!
- Have a wonderful day and a great year ahead!
- Happy birthday! I hope this year is full of lots of happiness and success for you!
- All the best for a happy and prosperous year ahead!
- Wishing you all the best on your special day!
- Have an incredible day and a fantastic year ahead!
- Happy birthday Wishes! I hope you have a truly wonderful day!
- Wishing you all the best for your birthday!
- May your special day be filled with everything that makes you happy!
- Warm wishes for a really happy birthday.
- Best wishes to you on your very special day.
5 Ideas For Things To Write In A Belated Birthday Card
We all hope to never forget someones special day – but life happens, right? Here are some good ways to address the mistake while still celebrating with them.
- Happy birthday from your time-management-lacking friend…
- I’m truly sorry to have missed your special day. Happy belated birthday.
- This card isn’t late. It’s sent intentionally to arrive later than your special day so your birthday celebration lasts longer. You’re welcome!.
- Sorry this card is a bit late. I remembered your birthday, just not the date… Hope you had a brilliant time.
- The world is made up of two types of people. Boring ‘on-time’ types and the fun, spontaneous people like me who don’t own calendars. Happy belated birthday (sorry….)
10 Birthday Quotes To Send Birthday Wishes In A Card
Sometimes you want something other than your own words – and a quote can be a great way of writing the type of thing you want without being too sentimental!
Birthday quotes are often a great way to add words to a blank card – and are usually much better than a pre-written card because you can pick something that’s relevant to the person you’re sending it to, rather than being very impersonal / generic.
- “A birthday is a new beginning – A birthday is the first day of another lovely year, A year of new tomorrows that is shining, bright and clear, A year of possibilities as endless as the sky, and a chance to meet the challenges in everything you try.” Author Unknown
- “A birthday is like a new year and my wish for you, is a great year full of happiness and sunshine!” – Catherine Pulsifer”
- “A birthday is just the first day of another 365-day journey around the sun. Enjoy the trip!” – Author Unknown
- “Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.” – Jack Benny
- “Birthdays were made for going wild over the people we think are amazing.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
- “A birthday is a time to reflect, to take stock and to look ahead.” – Kevan Manwaring
- “A birthday is a glorious day filled with good laughter, gladness and great memories.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
- “Another year older, another year wiser.” – Allie Blum
- “You are a very special person to us and on this day you were born we are remind of the unique and wonderful person that you are.” – Kate Summers
- “The older you get the better you get, unless you are a banana.” – Betty White
Should You Capitalise Happy Birthday When Writing It?
This is something I always wonder, because both capitalising and not capitalising looks right. After some research this is what I’ve found to be the answer:
You should NOT capitalise happy birthday when it’s in the middle of a sentence. If wishing someone a ‘Happy birthday” then only capitalise happy as that’s the start of the phrase.
Hopefully you’ve found the perfect happy birthday message (or birthday quote) to write in that greeting card now!
Sending the right wishes is so important, but now you don’t have to worry about finding the right words.
So, why not bookmark this page so you always know where to come when you need it?