I love to get the most out the day whenever I can, but all too often life gets in the way!
The best laid plans can backfire in the mess of daily life, and we can fall behind on the things that are important – or just those that need to get done.
But what’s the answer?
It’s twofold really – firstly to acknowledge that life WILL always get in the way, and secondly to make the time you do have really count.
It’s about being productive with whatever time you have – and getting as much done with as little hassle as possible.
Here are my top 9 tips to make you more productive today – and I hope they help….
#1 – REMOVE PHONE DISTRACTIONS
You can’t always eliminate all distractions. Kids will need help, the door will need answering, and emergencies happen – but we can get rid of one of the main distractions we all have in our day – and that’s our mobile phone.
For example – in our always available digital lives we have notifications for everything. Facebook message? Text? News alert? I could go on….
Yes – we need to be able to answer the phone in case its the kids school or someone needs to get hold of you asap – but we don’t need to be stuck to it 24/7!
The easiest way to get these distractions out of our day is to turn those notifications off.
Right now – just do it!
You could go one step further and place your phone a little away from where you are so that you have to walk to look at it – this is an amazing trick that really works. You may not realise how often you actually check your phone, and how often you get distracted then my other things that pop up when you look at it.
Take this distraction away and you will stay focussed on what you are doing – getting it done more quickly in the process.
#2 – QUESTION HOW YOU ARE DOING THINGS…
Whenever you are doing a chore or a job of any kind – get into the habit of asking yourself a few questions: –
- Is there an easier way to do this?
- Does it have to be done at all?
- Can someone else do it or help with it?
You can very easily get stuck in a rut of doing things the same way day in day out, without really thinking about it.
Chances are that you can do something slightly differently and that will save time and hassle in the process.
#3 – BATCH YOUR JOBS
It always saves time to do things in batches rather than one at a time – and that saving means you will be more productive without really doing anything differently!
Here are some examples of the types of jobs that can be collected together throughout the week/month so that you can do them all in one go: –
- Pay bills online (login to your bank once a week and do it all in one go)
- Make phone calls (you can make all calls while on a long walk one day a week, for example)
- Appointments in town (schedule them on same day one after the other)
- Shopping – do all shopping on one day so you only need to go to town once a week
- Ironing – don’t do things as you need them, do it all in one go (watch a film while you do it to make it more pleasant!)
Each one by itself may sound like a small win – but these all add up to huge gains over time…
#4 – SHARE THE LOAD
If you can share jobs with other people it can really make things more streamlined. You don’t need to be doing it all yourself as no-one really will thank you for trying to be a superwoman/man, will they!
Here are some ideas of how you can share things so that you can focus on fewer things and get more done: –
- Share lifts for kids to school/after school clubs etc… – you could give yourself so much extra time by cutting your lifts in half, with which you could get some housework done, or prepare the evening meal etc…
- Delegate chores to everyone in your house – you all live there, so it makes sense that everyone does their bit to keep the house running well (age appropriate chores are perfect for kids to take on more responsibility)
- Split household jobs with your partner. If you both work it makes sense to split what you can between you so that it doesn’t fall on just one person to run the house.
- Hire help if you can afford it – a cleaner / gardener / ironer etc… could all take a little of the day to day chores away, leaving you to get on with the things that you need to do yourself.
So – which out of these first 4 things are you doing already? Which could you try to make life that little bit easier this week?
Maybe one of the next 5 will be what makes the difference for you – let’s keep going, shall we!…