I am always looking for ways to spend less time on the everyday mundane chores around the house – so I can gain more time for things that I really care about and want to do.
You know the type of chores – endless scrubbing, washing, wiping, folding, tidying, dusting, polishing, shining, cleaning etc…… ARRGGHH!!!
I’m sure I’m not alone in this, so I decided to write a post to give you some ideas that can easily become part of your everyday life.
Ideas that can become habits in your life – in the same way that you created the habit as a child of brushing your teeth each day – and if each one becomes a similar subconscious part of your everyday routine you won’t even notice doing them but you will really notice the difference in your home and your time!
If you can incorporate a few into your life, then it will make life that little bit easier.
You will be able to create more time for other things, and also be more confident of your home when unexpected guests drop by – and who doesn’t want that!
So – here’s the list, and I’d love to know if you have any extra ones to add – please leave a comment at the end of the post to share them – thanks in advance.
21 habits for an easier home life
- Wipe up spills immediately – they won’t have time to stain / soak in and are much quicker and easier to deal with
- Wipe your shower screen after each use – this stops water marks settling which can greatly increase scrubbing/cleaning time each week (and give a much more sparkly finish!)
- Whenever you leave a room, don’t leave empty handed – pick up an item that belongs elsewhere and put it back (keep things moving then they won’t build up)
- Straighten as you go – pictures off balance on the wall, cushions messed up, shelves of items in the kitchen, toothpaste out of the pot in the bathroom – the little things can make all the difference
- Make the bed as soon as you get up – a made bed makes the whole room feel tidier
- Load the dishwasher immediately after eating – get the dirty stuff out of the way
- Wash up and keep the surfaces tidy as you cook – that way you can sit and eat in the knowledge that the kitchens not a complete mess that will take ages to get sorted after you have finished….
- Kettle boiling? Use this time to find a quick task to tick off – wipe down the kitchen surfaces, brush the floor, empty the bin etc….
- Top up containers as you are nearing finishing them – tea/coffee/sugar/cereals etc….
- Wipe the sinks each time you use them
- Set the dishwasher each night and make unloading it the 1st thing that you do in the morning
- Put junk mail / envelopes etc… immediately in recycling when you open your post – don’t let it build up in piles everywhere
- Put items back when you have finished with them
- Keep items in the place that you need them
- Keep all surfaces as clear as possible -it takes a lot less time to clean – and there’s not so much to gather dust
- If you find something that’s broken/doesn’t fit etc…. immediately throw it away or put in your charity box (if in good condition) – its no good to you anymore and you don’t need to spend time storing/cleaning/tidying /thinking about it anymore.
- Wipe down your kitchen and bathroom surfaces each night to stop build up
- Use a 10 minute tidy up time to get the family involved and working together each evening
- Get the children to keep stuff off their floor in their rooms – its a first step to a tidy room and will work wonders on how long it takes to hoover!
- Keep cleaning products accessible so its quick and easy to do something in any spare minutes you have – you will then get into the habit of finding things to do when you have a moment free
- Call someone and chat while you clean! multitasking and making things fun at the same time!
Which of these habits are you doing already?
And which do you think you’ll start now? I can’t wait for these to help you streamline home life….