One of my favourite things is to find products that can truly help around the house – and this week has been a good one!
I was lucky enough to be invited to take a look at the new – quite tongue in cheek – Sugru “JOY OF FIX” campaign running at the moment, and having spent some (read:loads! of) time on their site I have seen their amazing product in action and all the ways it can help.
Of course I couldn’t help but want to share it with you here. For me it’s a game changer for loads of household/organising ideas and I’m sure you’ll agree.
“Sugru is the world’s first mouldable glue that turns into rubber….(it) feels like play-dough, and it’s that easy to use too. It bonds to almost any other material and cures just by exposing it to air. Its durable cured properties mean it’ll stay strong and securely bonded anywhere from the freezer to a steamy hot shower, from the home to the great outdoors”
My head is racing with ideas of how I would use it around the house, and if you aren’t that creative then don’t worry there is so much inspiration on the site itself via videos and step by step guides that you’ll never be short of a project that will help simplify life a little for you – I love the sense of community that the brand has as you really feel part of something. Here are a few ideas:-
- Fixing plastic toys
- Creating a holder for cables similar to this that I featured a while ago
- Creating cupboard bumpers – I would add a small circle on the top and bottom of cupboard doors to help them close without a bang
- Creating hooks
- Fixing kids shoes (you can mix the Sugru to any colour, almost like you are mixing paint, so you can colour match easily)
- Mending wellington boots
- Adding decoration and practicality to a mug – a way of protecting a surface from the heat of the mug – genius!
- Adding better handles to things around the house, or handles that have broken off
- Creating a barrier on electrical items whose wires are showing through the cable (my iron is in need of this right now)
And my personal favourite from the site would be to create an iPad wall mount – the perfect idea for when you are using your iPad for a recipe but want to keep it out of the way – who knew it could be so simple a fix!.
What are the benefits?
Sugru has lots of benefits that other fixings just don’t have:-
- Heat resistant
- Cold resistant
- Electrically insulating
- Dishwasher safe
- Flexible so won’t crack once cured overnight
- You can mould to fit any shape
- You can mix to any colour
- Can be magnetic (different packs include magnets as well)
This array of benefits along with all the different ways that have already been found and are yet to be found (cue some investigation from me!) excites the creative side of me, as you can mix practicality and function with a bit of fun.
Who said DIY had to be dull!?
I feel that I do have to mention though that it should be noted that although this looks like childrens modelling clay it’s not meant for kids to play with – basically its the adult version – fun to create and useful to fix things!