While at a trade show a while ago, I stumbled across a product that I was so excited about and one that I really wanted to share with you as I think it’s a great little find that can really help at home – and that product is a Smartbel**.
As you know, products have to really work well for them to feature at all on this site, and the Smartbel** is such a great piece of technology that I couldn’t help but write about it. So many people when they hear about it are amazed by what it can do!
What is a Smartbel?
A Smartbel is an intelligent doorbell – yes, really!
In a nutshell, it is a doorbell that someone can press as usual, but instead of just having a bell ring in your house, you can set it so that the doorbell calls your phone.
You can then answer the phone and talk to the person at the door – wherever you actually are.
SO clever, I’m sure you’ll agree.
You basically have a doorbell outside, and then there is a wire that you put through the wall which is attached to the actual Smartbel unit (which looks a little like a mobile phone) on the inside of the house.
As you can see – the doorbell itself has a little speaker so that the person at the door can talk to you through it.
The Smartbel has two settings – you can set it to simply ring like a normal bell, or set it to call the phone number you have chosen for it to call.
Why do I need one?
I work from home, and am lucky enough to have an office which has been created from the old garage (you may have seen the posts about me decorating it and making it a nicer space to be in the last few months…).
Although it’s great to have a separate space for my work, the issue I had was that I constantly missed people at the door as I simply couldn’t hear the bell.
So frustrating to have to go to the post office to pick up parcels when I was actually in all along.
The Smartbel has enabled me to hear the doorbell since I can switch the bell from a normal ring to actually calling me on my mobile when I am working in the office.
I never have to worry I have missed anyone at the door, and it’s so simple a fix really.
Who else could use one?
As you can imagine, there are so many uses for this doorbell – and that’s why I wanted to share the product with you today – as I am sure that you will think of at least one way that it can help make life easier for you or for someone you know.
- If you are out in the garden or up in the loft etc… you will always be able to hear the doorbell and answer the door without having to rush to it.
- If you are out and expecting a parcel you can answer the doorbell, talk to the person at the door and ask them to leave it with a neighbour or in a safe place.
- If you have an elderly relative living by themselves – you can answer the door on their behalf wherever you are – keeping them safe and avoiding them having to get to the door themselves.
- If you are on holiday and want to appear as if the house has someone in it – you can answer the doorbell as if you were in the house and talk to whoever is at the door.
- If you are ill and in bed and can’t get to the door.
And those are just a few ways that it can help – I’m sure you can think of some more!
What are the positives?
- I love that you can appear to be in your home even if you are abroad or out. It feels like extra security for the house.
- It helps you never miss a delivery again, and you aren’t tied to the house anymore if you are expecting anything.
It’s also a great talking point for friends and family – watch their faces when you say your doorbell can call you on your mobile wherever you are!
What are the negatives?
- As the doorbell is basically a phone (it has a SIM card), if you answer the call then you get charged for the time spent on the phone talking to whoever is at the door.I tend to use the bell just to know that someone is at the door and so just go into the house and answer the door – so this obviously doesn’t cost anything – but you need to be aware that there is an ongoing cost involved. Weighing this up against the time/energy wasted on picking up parcels or organising people to come to your home again, the cost can easily be worth it.
- The Smartbel, just as with a mobile phone, needs charging. The manufacturer recommends leaving it plugged in so that it never runs out of battery – which therefore needs a plug near to the front door and near to the bel itself so that the wire can be hidden away. This is something I haven’t been able to have due to space restrictions in my hallway – so I tend to charge the unit each night which is a hassle, but I don’t mind as it’s helping me do something that was more of a hassle before I found the bell!
- You will need to drill a hole through the wall between the doorbell and the unit – this is simple for a handyman to do, but is extra setup hassle. It is a shame that this part isn’t wireless as it would give more options for where to put the inside unit as well.
- If you have bad mobile reception then your doorbell will too – worth checking that it will be able to call you where it will be put.
– – – – – – – – – –
Want one? – You can also buy on Amazon HERE**
– – – – – – – – – –
Overall I love this doorbell. Yes, it is a little complicated to setup, and ideally you would want to have a plug socket on the wall below the bell itself to take away any charging issues, but it has so many uses that make it a product that is worth it!
It’s a unique find, and it has changed the way I work now as I am much more secure in the fact that I won’t miss the door again. It’s one of my favourite products in my office revamp!
Looking back, I wish I had it a few years ago when I had an operation on my back and had to stay lying down for a few weeks – it would have been so much easier to answer the door without moving, especially when people were visiting to see how I was!
Are you tempted by the Smartbel? Do you have any uses that I haven’t mentioned here? I’d love to know what you think of it so please leave a comment below…
NOTE – I’m not being paid to say any of this!, I just love the product…