This is page 2 of 2 – to go back to the start of this post please CLICK HERE
TO DO – 2 DAYS BEFORE YOU GO
- #21 – Clean the house ready for your return. A really hard job to get motivated to do before you are going away, and one that frankly, you could do without, but if you can clean your house as close as you can to leaving it, you will love coming back from holidays tired and walking through the door knowing that the house is clean and nothing needs doing.
- #22 – Freeze a meal for your return so you have something easy and quick available for you when you walk through the door. If you don’t want to cook a meal, then at least have something in the cupboards ready for you (pasta and a sauce works well), and also think about having a carton of UHT milk on standby so you can have a hot drink (this is especially useful if you are arriving home in the small hours of the morning when everything’s shut). I usually have a loaf of bread in my freezer so that I can have some toast, which works well.
- #23 – Watering plants etc.. needs to be considered. There are some self watering systems** out there which I have yet to try, or you could get a friend/house sitter to water them for you. Whatever your plan, don’t come back to a load of dead plants if you can help it!
- #24 – Pack your bags and label them (also weigh them** if you are flying and ensure that you haven’t exceeded your limits)
TO DO – THE DAY BEFORE YOU LEAVE
- #25 – Set a few lights on a timer** – this way your home looks like there’s someone there even when you’re out
- #26 – Clean out the fridge and empty all bins – the last thing you want to come home to is the smell of rotting food..
- #27 – Secure your home – check all locks, ensure the alarm is working and someone you trust has access in an emergency
- #28 – Remove any flowers in vases or plants that won’t last – they will start to rot and smell if left
- #29 – Double check travel times, travel documents and sitters
TO DO – THE DAY YOU LEAVE
- #30 – Do the washing up and put everything away that you have used before you leave.
- #31 – Tidy up! – Don’t leave things out for burglars to see and be tempted by
- #32 – Pack your last few bits (toothbrush etc…) that you have needed to use right up to leaving. I find it handy to have a checklist of these things on top of the suitcase so I can check them off as I add them to the case – saves having to think much before you go!
- #33 – Turn off/down the heating. If you are going away during the winter consider leaving on at least a little so the pipes don’t freeze and burst…
- #34 – Last minute walk around the house to ensure everything’s locked, nothings left on etc…
- #35 – When you leave the house – remember to RELAX – the holiday has now started – ENJOY AND HAVE A GREAT TIME – YOU DESERVE IT!
So – why not create a pre holiday checklist for yourself, and tick everything off as you count down to going away, you’ll be sure that everything will be tackled.
I’d love to know if you have anything else to add to the list – or if you have already created something similar – and don’t forget – if you want extra help in planning your holiday – INCLUDING a pre holiday checklist all ready for you to tick off, then take a look at my Holiday Planner – perfect for organising your trip away!